I know many of you readers are probably not used to being socially isolated for days at a time, but take it from me, you can get through this period of uncertainty with these tips.
How to stay motivated during the COVID-19 shelter-in-place
When I served in the military I experienced many times of loneliness, boredom and isolation. Whether it be stuck on a U.S. Army base because I had no vehicle as a poor, young enlisted soldier or deployed overseas in a foreign land, I experienced what you are going through now...with a caveat.
You see, right now you're reading this on the internet. That alone is leaps and bounds from what I had back in the day. I remember during the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, I looked forward to the one 5-minute satellite phone call I could make per month to a loved one back home (and hopefully someone picked up the phone!) So be happy you have technology at the palm of your hand to absorb the news or to Netflix and chill.
If you still are going stir-crazy stuck in your home, try doing these things:
1. Go outside in the sun to absorb the warm rays, while getting a sun tan and if you have garden tend to it or better yet start one.
2. Exercise. The past few years I distanced myself from relying upon the gym for a great workout. You don't need a gym membership. You just need your body weight to get in a calorie-burning workout. Still doubt me? Just see how fit prisoners are, so no excuses!
3. Start cooking your own meals. If you don't have skills in the kitchen, now is a good time to start learning. You can find plenty of recipes online by using Google. I recommend buying an Instant Pot to save you time and effort and also an air fryer. Not only will you learn a new skill, but you will save money from eating out and you actually might lose weight eating healthier.
4. Take your dog on a walk. Both you and fido will enjoy the change of scenery and fresh air, plus you'll continue your close bond with your best friend.
5. Be intimate with your partner and explore new positions. If you are clueless go on Amazon and buy a kamasutra book to learn.
6. Reorganize your clutter around the house and/or vehicle, it's officially Spring anyway so get to cleaning.
If you are still making excuses, well I can't help you with your motivation. You need to look in the mirror and push yourself. Prisoners are able to some how stay sane in much worse conditions so you really have zero excuse to stay active. If I can do it for a year stuck in the super-hot deserts of the Middle East working 12 hour plus days (with very little time off), directly responsible for the lives of my soldiers while enforcing law and order in a volatile country with only cheap DVD's surrounded by a bunch of stinky guys, then you should easily get past this coronavirus shelter-in-place order!
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED: